permaculture - [permaculture] Major study documents benefits of organic farming | WSU News Washington State University

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Major study documents benefits of organic farming | WSU News Washington State University
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 00:10:54 -0400

Major study documents benefits of organic farming | WSU News Washington
State University
https://news.wsu.edu/2014/07/11/major-study-documents-benefits-of-organic-farming/#.VAaT_qNQWWL

The largest study of its kind has found that organic foods and crops have a
suite of advantages over their conventional counterparts, including more
antioxidants and fewer, less frequent pesticide residues.

The study looked at an unprecedented 343 peer-reviewed publications
comparing the nutritional quality and safety of organic and conventional
plant-based foods, including fruits, vegetables and grains. The study team
applied sophisticated meta-analysis techniques to quantify differences
between organic and non-organic foods.

“Science marches on,” said Charles Benbrook, a Washington State University
researcher and the lone American co-author of the paper published in the
British Journal of Nutrition. “Our team learned valuable lessons from
earlier reviews on this topic, and we benefited from the team’s remarkable
breadth of scientific skills and experience.”