permaculture - Re: [permaculture] A school near a terraced rice field in Vietnam

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] A school near a terraced rice field in Vietnam
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 02:07:12 -0500

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 11:05 PM, Neil Bertrando
<neilbertrando@gmail.com>wrote:

> In general for construction, earthworks and other technical information
> require detailed calculations, specs, design parameters, etc. I refer to
> FAO, NRCS, engineering, and construction references.
>
> you might also consider utilizing the keyline design system for layout.

P A Yeomans-Keyline in New Caledonia (20 min)
http://youtu.be/gkrZVIeaYxk

*Published on Jun 9, 2013 *

This is one of the first films depicting a Keyline Flood Flow system
consultancy by P A Yeomans, on near flat land adjacent to a swampy river
valley.

River water flows into a gently falling diversion channel all the way into
a shallow creek valley.

So that this water can irrigate the greatest area of land, a flat channel
takes the shortest path (making the water available higher in the
landscape) across the shallow creek valley on a viaduct wall, creating a
lake behind it.

River water is diverted into the lake or across the wall to a falling
irrigation channel.

In lieu of an overflow channel from the lake, flooded water-gates at the
end of the long arm of the storage (parallel to & uphill from the
irrigation channel) release water back down the plain into the now lower
irrigation channel.

For additional Keyline Flood Flow irrigation higher in the landscape,
Yeomans installs a low lift/high capacity pump along the same long arm of
the lake.

To maximise this higher irrigation area, the pumped water is sent into an
upper contour irrigation channel.

Further details of this project can be found in:
Yeomans, P A (1965, or 2nd edition 1968). Water For Every Farm.
The K G Murray Publishing Company Pty Ltd, Sydney NSW.
Yeomans, P A (1978). Water For Every Farm Using The Keyline Plan. The K G
Murray Publishing Company Pty Ltd, Sydney NSW.
Yeomans, P A (softback 1981). Water For Every Farm Using The Keyline Plan.
Second Back Row Press Pty Ltd, Katoomba NSW.
(Each Out of Print)
See particularly the flight photo Plate 23 in each text.

Copyright Release: P A Yeomans (1983).

Thanks go to Geoff Booth for digitizing this video.

Read the detailed film Descriptive Paper by Geoff Booth (including rare
project photos & his calculations) on P A Yeomans' design in New Caledonia
on this YouTube Channel 'About' page or here:
http://issuu.com/gboothy/docs/p_a_yeo...<http://issuu.com/gboothy/docs/p_a_yeomans-film_descriptive_paper->

--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura@gmail.com