permaculture - Re: [permaculture] A school near a terraced rice field in Vietnam [2000x1390] photo by sarawut Intarob (ppcdn.500px.org)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Pete Gasper, Gasper Family Farm" <farmer1@gasperfarm.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] A school near a terraced rice field in Vietnam [2000x1390] photo by sarawut Intarob (ppcdn.500px.org)
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 09:38:05 -0600

What kind of soil is underneath those fields? Here in America we'd consider that too steep to plant or do much anything with besides maybe cattle or scrub timber. But then you can't run a combine with a 30' header across it and our soils of such geography tend to have stone a few inches down. But I wonder if human scale agriculture could radically expend food production here via methods like that.

Pete