permaculture - Re: [permaculture] To Pinch or not to Pinch

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: David Muhl <dmuhl65@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] To Pinch or not to Pinch
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 12:41:27 -0700 (PDT)

Yes, I suppose there would be more truth to that in the central valley (CA)
than where I was located at 6,900 ft elevation in the rockies, where the
growing season is most certainly shorter. I've never had to pay as much
attention to incoming weather as much as someone whose livelihood depends on
it. But it seems to me that if, as a tomato grower (particularly one at
higher elevations), your prediction is that your plants will be dead due to
freezing temperatures somewhere in the next 7-14 days, a difference in yield
is kind of a non-issue. That is, unless you intend on doing something with a
bunch of undersized and unripened fruit. Green salsa perhaps?!

I was also thinking about what Tanya had to say about the "folklore" of
end-season pinching, specifically about the sugars and sweetness. If the
shoots are just these little 2-3" growing tips, and you pinch them before
they fill out, you would still have basically the same amount of vegetative
mass actively photosynthesizing as before. And again, I'm taking about the
last 7-14 days of the plants life here. Now, wouldn't other factors, such as
soil quality, plant variety, and ripeness play a more dominant role in the
brix content of the fruit? I have heard of cutting back on water prior to
final harvest, and I'm wondering if the trimming of roots idea may play into
that. There are no shortage of tasks or experiments that can be conducted on
a farm, and like many endeavors, one has to prioritize what they want to take
on...based on what the perceived benefit may or may not be.