permaculture - Re: [permaculture] To Pinch or not to Pinch

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: David Muhl <dmuhl65@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] To Pinch or not to Pinch
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 23:05:08 -0700 (PDT)

I would imagine that your growing space would have a lot to do with whether
or not you pinch them. If one has a high ceiling greenhouse and grows
indeterminate type vines, then if pinching them helps concentrate the growth
up the string, that would be a good thing, and you could pack your vines
closer together. But suppose you're not after a vine that's way over your
head. Perhaps then it makes more sense to let the side shoots fill out a bit
more.

One farmer I worked with in Colorado would pinch the shoots on his
unprotected field grown plants near the end of the growing season. This I
was told would cause the plant put all of its energy into "finishing" the
tomatoes that were already getting close, rather than putting on additional
leaves, or new flowers that wouldn't have time to produce decent fruits
before the first frost arrived.

David Muhl
Portland, Oregon