permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Dacha gardeners feeding the Russian nation | In 2011 the dacha gardens of Russia produced 40% of the nation's food.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Dacha gardeners feeding the Russian nation | In 2011 the dacha gardens of Russia produced 40% of the nation's food.
  • Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 22:25:29 -0400

On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 9:43 PM, Pete Gasper, Gasper Family Farm <
farmer1@gasperfarm.com> wrote:

> We don't need peasants from other countries to teach us, the only folks
> who'd listen them don't need the information. We have plenty of information
> already. What we need is to break the grip of the merchant class on the
> minds of the people. Also our government at all levels fights against the
> people growing their own food. Getting land to grow on is a gargantuan
> task.
> We also lack 'widespread mutual assistance'. In this country you are more
> likely to be shunned than helped.

Thumbs-up Pete, you've got the picture. That happens. What can we do to
help change that?

I have been thinking of a long essay to post about why we need
multi-nation/culture
collaboration and cooperation and exchange of knowledge, new ideas, old
ideas,
experiences, traditions and nuts and bolts how-to on survival on all
fronts.
I have posted many times on the value of researching, identifying,
observing, documenting
and preserving all the best agriculture and survival-related traditions of
all cultures worldwide. This is what permaculture is,
using the most sensible regenerative methods possible leading to
sustainability
and living in harmony with the Earth and its creatures. With knowledge
comes power and ever-increasing numbers of those
retaining and using this knowledge and passing it on for future
generations. Tell me that isn't important.
Ex: there are rural dwelling folks in southeast asia, maybe the
Phillipines, who build wiers in their aquaculture streams and ponds,
catch fresh water fish then after cleaning pack them with certain herbs and
salt in vats for aging, storage and use for 15 years or more;
the Chinese for centuries have been doing the same with dried fish, stored
in barns for 20 years or more and the flavor of the fish improves over
time.
That's technology, low-tech nuts and bolts that is absolutely essential to
their survival and good health, providing them with the sustenance needed
for continued survival.
Survival on a homestead, urban or rural where you provide yourself with as
much of your diet as you can produce yourself is and will become even more
in the future is one of the most important things you do with your time,
money and energy.

More later.

LL