permaculture - Re: [permaculture] oxygenation of water

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] oxygenation of water
  • Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2013 00:06:42 -0400

On 4/6/2013 10:11 PM, Douglas Hinds wrote:

Wikipedia defines hydroponics as follows:

*Hydroponics* is a subset of hydroculture and is a method of growing
plants <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant> using mineral nutrient
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutrient> solutions, in water, without
soil <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soil>. Terrestrial plants may be
grown with their roots <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root> in the
mineral nutrient solution only or in an inert medium,

Which the way I understand hydroponics: There's no soil, no
soil-food-web, no soil biology - it's not even agriculture (much less
permaculture), which helps explain why I become distempered if I eat
even a little (something which I would not knowingly do).

Distempered in the sense that steel can lose it's temper. I notice this
phenomena in 1973, living somewhere hydroponic tomatoes (and not much
else) were available. Loss of focus and momentum, drive, dynamism,
orientation - no wonder your grandchildren won't eat them.

It's an anti-biological, anti-evolutionary technology.

Ho' lotta hype. We have been through this already, in the list, with significant input. Yes to hydroponics and soil foodweb, natural nutrients, aeration, compost tea,, etc etc etc.
Ask Toby about this and sort through the archives for the thread on aquaponics and hydroponics within the past 8 months.