permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [permaculture-99] Dacha Movement: History and Effects In Russia

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [permaculture-99] Dacha Movement: History and Effects In Russia
  • Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2012 14:44:59 -0400

On 8/7/2012 2:28 PM, venaurafarm wrote:
On 8/7/2012 10:02 AM, Toby Hemenway wrote:
If we want to survive . . . each and every family as much as
possible needs to be able to produce it's own food for itself, and
as many other people as possible.

Right on and thumbs up, onward relentless, let nothing stand in your way.

I don't need to grow my own food.

But there are millions of others who do need to grow their own food in
order to have a healthy diet, involve themselves in very worthwhile
activities as practitioners and learners.
I need to be part of a healthy
network that does.

Those networks, if they exist, are not necessarily available to millions
of people and for a varieties or reasons. Let's hear more about your
networks. Who forms them, who is part of them and who keeps them going
and functionsl?

While I'd love it if everyone gardened, a
coordinated community food system

Where are they and how many are there; what is the projected future for
this resource?

I did not address the concept of community food systems properly. Obviously that is a big deal all across the country. I am talking about a system that supplies not only those in need but the middle class as well (since they were the hardest hit by the national economic downturn). It goes without saying that a nation of home gardeners, urban, suburban and rural dacha-dwellers can become a nation of healthy, local as well as regional, coordinated community food systems.
Well organized community food systems are gaining ground as are CSA's and other subscription agriculture systems, farmers markets, farm stands, pick your own operations, direct sales, on farm sales and people just selling to their neighbors.