permaculture - [permaculture] Full Attention: A Modest Proposal for Free CSA Shares

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jennifer Nazak <jnazak@yahoo.com>
  • To: "permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Full Attention: A Modest Proposal for Free CSA Shares
  • Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 06:18:42 -0800 (PST)

I'm with you Lawrence. It's important, not only for the wellbeing of the
farmers but also for the dignity of the recipients, that everyone contribute
SOMETHING in exchange for the produce. And it's not just "dignity" in some
nebulous sense, but skill-building and self-determinism that I'm talking
about.

Even if they haven't a penny, they should contribute some labor. Having been
penniless and unskilled, and survived by exchanging my work for farm produce
during more than a few seasons in the past 10 years, I speak from experience.
Not only did I survive, I ate really well and got healthy. AND gained skills
that helped me feel more confident of my ability to feed myself and others.

Most local organic farm I know of, has some provision for work-trade which
allows even a person with zero financial resources to get all the veggies
they need.

Many folks are getting into the "Free Food" movement, growing free food on
their own initiative, which is great. We planted a public free food zone in a
corner of our front yard right along the sidewalk. First come, first served.
Incidentally, the first thing that happened was that someone CONTRIBUTED
food: She brought grapefruit from her tree, and put them next to the veggie
containers for passersby who might enjoy a citrusy treat.

jenny
Jenny Nazak
permaculturist at large!

Ormond-by-the-Sea FL & Austin TX