permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: Sustainable Agriculture in the Amazon

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: Sustainable Agriculture in the Amazon
  • Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 10:55:18 -0500

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Don Dean <dondean@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 11:53 AM
Subject: Sustainable Agriculture in the Amazon
To: sustainable google <sustainableaged_org@googlegroups.com>, Don Dean <
dondean@hotmail.com>

Hi All,****

** **

I recently joined the group and am looking forward to learning from your
expertise and sharing ideas. I will be in the Peruvian Amazon several
times this winter and again for most of the summer. There, I manage a
50-acre parcel, of which the lower third (on the Mazan River) is recovering
former agricultural land. ****

It is my aim to prepare several experimental plots, including prudent
reintroduction of woods, fruits and palms, possibly other agricultural
areas, medicinal plants, etc. A fruit nursery is well underway, and there
will be a significant planting of kapok (*Ceiba pentandra*) this summer. The
site is the Santa Cruz field station of Project Amazonas, a
Peruvian-American non-profit organization that focuses on humanitarian,
educational, research and conservation work in the Peruvian Amazon. ****

** **

I’m wondering what expertise you might offer? I am not a tropical
biologist and there is a ton to learn. There are also opportunities to
visit, collaborate, etc.****

** **

In addition, an introductory course in the culture and biology of the Upper
Amazon will be offered this summer. The course is geared to educators or
anyone who wants a “hands-on” experience in the Amazon to bring home. There
is also limited space for students/volunteers to participate without credit
(and without tuition), as well as opportunities to extend travel onward to
explore more of Perú or South America. ****

** **

http://ptonline.org/hol/amazon/ ****

** **