permaculture - [permaculture] Twine, GIS/GPS/Garmont handheld used to sense and log site information & create database

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Twine, GIS/GPS/Garmont handheld used to sense and log site information & create database
  • Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 11:35:43 -0500

Twine, GIS/GPS/Garmont handheld used to sense and log site information & create database

This has been discussed here before but a friend on FB commented on the Twine device which prompted me to suggest other uses for this. [this is just a quickie and needs editing, will do so later]

http://laughingsquid.com/twine-a-simple-and-versatile-web-enabled-sensor-module/
Twine, A Simple and Versatile Web-Enabled Sensor Module
By EDW Lynch on December 7, 2011

Twine by Supermechanical
Twine [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/supermechanical/twine-listen-to-your-world-talk-to-the-internet] by Supermechanical [http://supermechanical.com/] is a web-enabled sensor module that can connect all manner of things to the Internet (video) [http://vimeo.com/33192464]. Internal and external sensors monitor a variety of inputs such as movement or temperature and then generate messages about that information—for instance, Twine can send an email when a basement is flooding, or a text when a door is opened. Twine is configured by the companion Spool app, which lets users set up simple rules for the device to follow. David Carr and John Kestner [http://johnkestner.com/] of Supermechanical are raising funds and pre-selling Twine on Kickstarter [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/supermechanical/twine-listen-to-your-world-talk-to-the-internet].

LL writes:
Very nice. I would like to have one that could bring weather data to my laptop plus digital camera images of weather conditions outside, i.e. sunny/cloudy/mixed to log along with other climatic conditions each day - here's a good one - a GIS system _ Garmont handheld I could use to do a farm site inventory to log into some kind of database on my laptop, garden by garden, recording crop changes year round plus digital images plus weather data including microclimate info per garden...any and all pertinent data about each garden site logged via GIS recording GPS data for each garden; site conditions, lay of the land, i.e. elevations, drainage, soil moisture, all logged into the database. I have about 4.5 acres laid out in a system of small gardens, each draining into the other with outflow going to any of three ponds with aguaculture systems. more later on this is you're interested....I wounder how Twines and GIS/GPS could be used together.

  • [permaculture] Twine, GIS/GPS/Garmont handheld used to sense and log site information & create database, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 12/08/2011