permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The Permaculture saying, "Prepare for Disaster" and the mo...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The Permaculture saying, "Prepare for Disaster" and the mo...
  • Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 23:11:00 +0100

We are very pleased with 40 gallon plastic barrels originally used for fruit juice concentrate that a few years ago where readily available here. We wash them out well and dry and then they can be filled with all sorts of grains and dry goods such as peas, beans and other items. We get about 160-170 kilos of seeds/grains in one barrel. Seal the bungs with vaseline and put a lighted tea light in on top of the goods through one of the bungs holes before sealing. Make sure to put water in the bung on the outside or you may burn a hole. Burning a candle reduces oxygen content and gives a higher CO2 content which all help to preserve the goods. Oats and wheat thus preserved 15 years ago still germinate readily today for us.
It is even possible to burry these barrels out of sight. We have never seen rat damage.
john

I would like to see this develop into a useful thread. Things I would
like to know about are:

I. Equipment
1) insect-proof, waterproof dry foods/bulk foods storage containers for
things such as whole rice, corn, other grains, beans, pasta, seaweed,
dried fruit, tea and coffee, nuts, seeds, granola, dried peppers etc.
2) proper storage containers for canned and bottled goods that you do
not want on shelving, incl. oils, tamari, vinegar, condiments and
sauces, butters: sesame, sunflower, almond (and/or peanut, cashew),
honey, rice malt, barley malt, molasses etc.
3) best ways to store grains and beans for prevention of insect damage
4) recommended refrigerators and freezers (for me that would be GE
freezers, small capacity, several of them and nothing but Sanyo
refrigerators (I have 4 medium sized counter top models without
freezers, one still in the box, 3 in active use year round)
II. Food to acquire for long term storage

1) My suggestions:
seaweed
dried hot peppers
sea salt
rice
barley
corn grits
corn meal
dried fruits
tamari
vinegar
miso
umeboshi
natto
olive oil
sesame oil
canned herring, sprats and sardines
canned tuna
canned chicken
canned beef if you can find any on sale
dried fish, sardines of varying sizes in bags from Asian stores
dried mushrooms
butters: sesame, sunflower, almond
granola
honey, rice malt, barley malt, molasses