permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Mycofiltration & Swales

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Neil Bertrando <neilbertrando@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Mycofiltration & Swales
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 11:35:19 -0700

Thanks John for the great info.

Michael, as an aside,

I recommend double checking the source of the nutrient loading into the
Potomac and Chesapeake Bay to make sure your proposal addresses the actual
flow of nutrients into the aquatic ecosystems.

Are the N and P carried in surface runoff or subsurface leaching,
percolation, and flow? My guess is both, so the ? becomes what quantities
are moving in each pathway, and where do they enter these pathways (i.e.
surface runoff from manure piles, sediment carried off fields or manure pond
leaching, etc.) Hopefully this will provide you with some high leverage
locations for remediation strategies.

To get this quantitative info, you might want to check with the university
researchers, environmental consulting firms, the state department of
environmental quality (water division), and local environmental groups
(maybe something like friends of the potomac or chesapeake or ...). And you
may want to do some direct testing of your own...or write it into the
funding proposal.

You might already have funding sources in mind. If not, you may want to
look at partnering with local farmers and assess if some NRCS grants are
appropriate (EQIP, CIG, etc) or SARE grants. Also look at www.grants.gov.

I've thought briefly about this issue before and thought it might be
interesting to see if one could match two industrial ag by-products to deal
with nutrient imbalances (although ideally the industrial ag model would be
reformatted to a regenerative and eco-systemic model). For example, the
by-products of wood pulping and lumber production such as sawdust and other
high lignin materials might be reasonable to mix in with manure lagoons from
pig operations to balance the C:N relationship...these might also be a
source of materials for your spawn production. Of course this depends on
proximity, fuel costs, mixing machinery, and other details. just a thought.

cheers,
Neil