permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Mycofiltration & Swales

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Neil Bertrando <neilbertrando@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Mycofiltration & Swales
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 08:19:56 -0700

I recommend contacting the Northeast Permaculture network, and hopefully
some people with direct experience in your region can help you with the
details.

http://northeasternpermaculture.wikispaces.com/

Re: earthworks, double check the designer's manual chapter, and here are my
basic suggestions (with the caveat that I have minimal experience with large
machine use and planning)

1. shop around and talk to people to try and find a skilled operator
2. If access to site and slope are adequate, a slightly larger machine will
often cover the cost in decreased time to move the same volume of earth
3. Consider slope of the land and shape and size of swale/drain that you
want to create. Three tools that could be used are a grader, a bulldozer,
or an excavator (a hydraulic tilt bucket or ditching bucket are often
useful). each tool creates a slightly different cross sectional profile of
drain. I think as slope increafses you would shift from grader to bulldozer
to excavator, although you might take some pictures of a site and a design
detail to some excavation companies and ask what they would do.

I'm sure there are many details I'm missing that you will want to check on
with machine operators, local farmers, local designers, etc.

for inoculum, you might consider the erosion control straw wattles used for
BMPs on construction sites. they can be made long and in a range of
diameters. Or you might look at long tubes of burlap from a manufacturer
before they sew them into individual sacks, then fill it using a hopper or
some type of chute. growing the spawn then moving it may be difficult with
this method.

hope this helps
Neil