permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Question for Elaine: Fwd:Re: Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Soil minerals and nutrition

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Question for Elaine: Fwd:Re: Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Soil minerals and nutrition
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 19:18:52 -0500

On 12/28/2010 5:17 PM, sals3 wrote:
I would like to add my 2 cents the soil you test now is not the soil you
will have real soon if you r making your own soil using permaculture. .
you may not get the same readings after a rain or on a hot day or over
here or over there . I would think and after years there should be more
fungus more forest etc do you think the test would be the same minerals
. . IMHO
do you think the soil test under a banana "a grass "would give the same
readings as under a 100 year tree even though they are only feet apart ?
I don't know. I think a good soil test the best I have seen was go under
a healthy tree and pull back the mulch and see if your making soil and
how good it looks. of course it looks better after a rain and different
in hot weather. guess you have to look at the tree itself and every
thing around it . are they happy or stressed. .

Great observation, Sal. It was those kind f thoughts that made me think that looking at soil test results in the context of conditions at the time the sample was taken and also in the context of results of a total soil microbiology assay, soil organic matter and variations according to depth and more. This is very interesting stuff. We should see what more we can come up with.