permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Question for Elaine: Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Soil minerals and nutrition

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: David Muhl <dmuhl65@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Question for Elaine: Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Soil minerals and nutrition
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 10:54:27 -0800 (PST)

Excellent info...thank you.

So it appears (as was discussed on this list in past threads) that:

a) there are myriad tests available
b) not all labs are using the same testing methods, even if the client were
to ask the same questions about his/her soils.
c) there are many different variables (mineral content, organic matter, water
quality and quantity, microorganisms, fungus, etc.)
d) how these variables (in their various quantities) interact with each other
will determine what is available to the plants that occupy a given location
(or will).
e) Some nutrients will be readily available, while others are slowly released
(over various time periods).

I'm sure this list could go on for awhile, so I'll finish with the fact that
each biological life form has it's own range of nutrients that is
required/desired for optimal health, and that it might indeed take a
"five-year PH.D. dissertation in soil chemistry and biochemistry" to piece
together the absolute best combination of everything above, even for a small
assortment of plantings (let alone an extended laundry list of plant
materials that a permaculturist, organic market farmer, or a landscaper
working with ornamentals might be working with).

Up until recently, I've been working with mostly ornamentals, and sometimes
just natives for restoration work. When I have soils tests done, the forms
will ask me what I intent to plant, and based on this information (combined
with the results from the testing), I will be given recommendations for
specific amendments to be added (in various quantities) as part of my soil
prep.

Now, most of the labs I've used are those found at land grant universities
that receive a good deal of their funding through large industrial
agriculture corporations, and, suffice it to say, the recommendations
virtually always suggest adding some cocktail of petrochemical fertilizers,
much in the same way that doctors practicing western medicine treat symptoms
of disease via "Big Pharma" rather than work towards creating a healthy
body). I could go deeper into this topic (as could most on a permaculture
listserve), but my goal (starting with my original post) was to see how good
of a soil I might be able to create for a specific site without the
petrochemical amendments and herbicides.

Elaine wrote about a thriving soil food web being able to make certain
required nutrients available for plant uptake. I felt if I could get at
least a rough idea of my existing soil makeup, and maybe some idea of what
the various living elements found in soil can do for me, then by reviewing
both a standard soils test and a bio-assay, I could have a reasonable degree
of confidence that I could make a few minor additions to my soil and have
reasonably good success with the outcome. Yes, each plant has it's own
"ideal" conditions, and industrial mono-cropping farmers want a very specific
"best recommendation" for that plant. However, it's important to note that
plants to not require the perfect set of conditions to thrive, but do well in
a range of conditions (as might be illustrated by a bell curve). Given the
right project, I might (most probably would) wish to have a number of
polyculture guilds present. I should be able to (with the appropriate
level of plant knowledge) do one or two soil amendment strategies across the
site that would benefit most all of the plants I choose, which might include
the addition of various bio-amendments should they be absent or insufficient
in number. Sure, a few plants might not do well, but that's only a few.
It's not like I have the same level of risk that a large monocrop farming
operation has if you don't "nail it" with the absolute best conditions on the
first try.

So hopefully this conversation moves beyond just a discussion of various
testing strategies and why our hands are tied behind our backs and why we are
helpless to solve some complex riddle even with our PhD's in hand. Let's
move to "thinking outside the box" to whatever extent possible. Hopefully
Elaine can respond as well, or others whose expertise covers the soil food
web in addition to other aspects of soil science. For that matter, let's
expand this to include other questions/comments people might have.

Cheers,

David Muhl

--- On Tue, 12/28/10, Lawrence F. London, Jr. <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>