permaculture - Re: [permaculture] official certification

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Killian O'Brien <admin@pri-de.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] official certification
  • Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 19:23:39 -0400

>>This is so disappointing, Killian. Sean offers a path to advanced
>>certification in permaculture, something thousands of people are clamoring
>>for, and your >>reaction is to brand it as elitist, rather than rejoice at
>>the emergence of yet another option.

Oh, Toby, do be careful when putting words in other's mouths. I said nothing
of the kind. My questions and observations were all practical, none of them
were ideological. Read again, more carefully, or ask for clarification,
please.

>>And if money is still a limit, I have yet to see someone who asked, who
>>actually tried, be turned away from a PDC because they had too little.
>>There are grants, >>scholarships, work trades, loans, free courses,
>>low-income courses, deferred payments, payment plans, a whole host of
>>solutions that show me that the "I can't >>afford it" whine is just a cop
>>out, more revealing of the person's negative attitudes about money and
>>desire to blame others than about any real obstacle.

Oh, trust me, I know all about offering low-cost/in kind. It's driving me to
bankruptcy. :) You've not really made a point, or we'd see every PDC offered
chock full, but we don't. Money is now and always will be an issue. It's a
nice rationalization, but that's all so far as I can see. There are now and
always will be a huge majority of people on the planet who will never get the
slightest sniff of a PDC or diploma. Money is just a proxy for all the
various reasons people can't make it to courses. Got course fees covered?
What about air fare? Lost work hours? Child care? And on and on. Your point
is moot, imo.

I didn't say there should be no cost or exchange, Toby. I said the solution
proposed maintains structures of the past that are unlikely to apply in the
future, as well as limiting access, so why not do it differently? Creating
greater complexity when the world needs a vast reduction in complexity is odd
to me. Also, I very clearly suggested the beginnings of a different approach
that would, without having put much thought into it, admittedly, be far more
accessible and should be a heck of a lot cheaper.

>>the days of the Mollisonian lone wolves are drawing to close.

What the heck does that even mean? Sounds like axes being ground... is it?
And what were your comments about a bunch of permies and their organizations
talking to each other about this meant to convey? This is the logical fallacy
of numbers of proponents. Seems to me *this* conversation is the more
effective way to decide such weighty issues, rather than more old paradigm,
back channel decision-making.

>> If anyone doesn't want to play in this process, then don't. Do it however
>> you want. But please don't tear down those who are trying to get
>> permaculture out to
>> a larger audience

Tear down? Who peed in your Wheaties? Get off the pedestal. I, for one,
assumed this conversation was for everyone. Silly me. And of the people
trying to get it out to a larger audience, if you think the opposite of me,
you are clueless as to what I am doing here in Detroit. And if you have $50k
in funding hidden away somewhere, we could train a hundred or more a year
here in Detroit... our costs are miniscule. Or how about umbrella 501(c)(3)
and I'll go find my own funding... if you really want to make it "accessible."

>>You see, my fear is just the opposite of yours. I think permaculture is
>>being held back far more by the self-righteous, screw-the-man, those
>>without dreadlocks >>need not apply, money is evil attitudes of the old
>>core of Pc practitioners.

Actually, this is you speaking without any idea what you are talking about.
Again. I *am* a pragmatic permaculturist, not one of the Gaian-oriented
crowd. (You've worked with that crowd here in Michigan, so it's a bit
surprising hearing you say this.) But what you are talking about is Old
Paradigm. Structures on top of structures with "professionals" defined and
codified, which, actually, I have no inherent problem with in a
growth-oriented paradigm. But the *reality* is now different. Long before you
get your certifications all shiny and polished and respected by the world at
large, the world at large will have begun to subside under the crushing
weight of The Perfect Storm of climate, energy transition and economic chaos
that is already here. You don't, quite literally, have time for this. You
(ustedes sense) have already lost by failing to recognize this.

However, a portfolio-based approach with... what did they call it in uni...
orals? Might be very, very workable in this age of Skype-ish applications...
much cheaper, much more accessible to a much wider range of people and
reflective of the very, very many different pathways people have become
"permaculturists"... some of whom have never had a course and never will.

Cheers,

Killian O'Brien
PRI-De
admin@pri-de.org