permaculture - Re: [permaculture] the limits of the conversation ||| What is ethics....in permaculture?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] the limits of the conversation ||| What is ethics....in permaculture?
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 20:54:56 -0400

2) Paul, it shouldn't be remotely controversial for me to note this: if your
list of allowable topics doesn't
include the 3rd Ethic, then the subject of your discussion is not
Permaculture.

Permaculture minus ethics equals gardening. Gardening sold as Permaculture
equals bullshit.

So much "talk" about ethics and how important it is to permaculture.
OK, here's an example of ethics, as I see it. Its right down there where the fish hits the water, pure aquagardening, feeding people,
ethics necessary in business and government oversight:

This post is in the sanet list; thread was gmo salmon.
<>
This will be a windfall for the countries that DON'T produce GMO salmon.
Demand is already high.

Note that it takes at least 2 kg of "low quality" fish such as herring and mackeral, used as feed stock, to produce 1kg of farmed salmon. We would be more responsible to demand those less desired species of fish on our tables and forget about farmed salmon altogether - or leave those "low quality" fish for the peoples who have depended on them for food for many generations. I think they deserve that right.
<>

Eat in season and what's available locally. Make sure the economically-challenged can feed themselves in their traditional way. That's ethics.
Can't eat hot air.