permaculture - [permaculture] transition from urban lawn to permaculture landscape

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: kenny swain <monkeywrenchsc@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] transition from urban lawn to permaculture landscape
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 22:24:35 -0800 (PST)

Hello,
Looking for some advice for the best strategy to begin transitioning my
conventional lawn/tree area.  I just purchased a home and it has a big front
lawn that I'd like to use for gardening and a privacy hedge.  I am
considering sheet mulching, but am confused as to which method/materials to
employ - I'm not sure if at the end of the day it matters whether I do it
correctly.  There was a significant amount of ivy (English I think) which I
have removed and have heard mixed advice as to whether it is okay to
chip/shred and use as mulch.  Also, will the sheet mulch kill the ivy if I
don't get rid of all of the runners/roots?  I'd like to take a pc design
course, but work too much and can't afford to take off a week+ of work.  It
seems as though I can't find a happy medium in the books I've read -they're
either written with large scale applications in mind or are too vague in
instructions.  I'm pretty excited to begin, but don't know where to begin.
Thanks for any help.