permaculture - Re: [permaculture] transition from urban lawn to permaculture landscape

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jacque Greenleaf <jacque@book-woman.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] transition from urban lawn to permaculture landscape
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 10:34:31 -0800

It's highly unlikely that all the ivy roots have been removed. So whatever
else you do, allow for pulling up more ivy roots for at least a year. In an
old planting, some roots will be a couple feet or more underground, and it
may take them a while to get a scout to the surface. Sheet mulch won't kill
these deep roots, you'll just have to wear them out!

Shred/chip the vines, and pile them on a tarp for a while. I'd turn the pile
once in a while. Once it's dry and you see no sign of green wood or live
buds, then use it as mulch. I wouldn't put fresh ivy chippings anywhere near
a place I didn't want ivy. It is an admirably tough plant.