permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Climate Ag Talk

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Ben Martin Horst <ben.martinhorst@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Climate Ag Talk
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 12:19:38 -0800

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 9:54 AM, Tripp Tibbetts <slowfoodguy@yahoo.com>wrote:

> I definitely don't think a bunch of fatcats chatting each other up about
> carbon cap and trade, while cloistered in the glad-handing and back-slapping
> halls of commerce is the answer...

Agreed, but...

> Again, I can't help but think that the problem is the solution. That
> excess atmospheric carbon may be precisely what's needed to refoliate the
> planet.

While it's certainly possible that this conjecture is correct, there's
precious little data to support it. Meanwhile, ocean acidification (directly
linked to rising CO2) will probably render most species of coral extinct
within a couple of decades, unless our culture makes some drastic changes.
Sea levels are going to rise, and whole biomes are going to shift toward the
poles with countless species unable to make the transition. So weighing the
near-certainty of imminent catastrophic species loss (beyond the already
massive toll from the clearing of habitat and overharvesting) against a very
hypothetical global gain in some distant geological future, I'm going to
choose to try to remove carbon from the atmosphere.

-Ben