permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Nutritional health

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Nutritional health
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 21:04:13 -0400

Scott Pittman wrote:
I, too, would prefer to keep the Nutrition subject on the main list. It is
much easier to navigate past those subjects that don't interest you than
have to navigate between multiple lists to be sure that you are covering
your interests.
I can see when there is extended interest in machine tools, or scythes that
there may be a need for an archive or another list but if it falls into the
general purview of permaculture then it should remain in the general pc list
serve.

Bill Mollison's book "Ferment and Human Nutrition" is certainly a good take
off on this subject and according to Bill is the most important book that he
wrote.

That's an excellent suggestion, Scott, and I hope subscribers will feel free
enter into discussion of health issues for Permaculturists here in this list
on an ongoing basis.
It would be a good thing, good for everyone.

What I have in mind for a subset list, one on health & nutrition, pchealth, is a flood of tiny to large articles on a wide range of related topics. I can imagine that...... hundreds of individual recipes, 20 ways to make kim chee,
how to preserve herbs for tea making, cold remedies, preventive medicine, raw
foods, kelp+spelt+foodyeast scone recipes,
why turnip greens are good for you and how to prepare them, sprouts and
sprouting, in trays and dirt and in containers,
evaluation of the nutritional philosophies of Kloss, Shelton, Kulvinskas (sprouts) Wigmore (sprouts), Kushi, macrobiotic diets, Japanese mactobiotic diets and Japanese foods, Asian foods and food prep, books by Mollison and Katz and others on raw dieting and fermented foods, using wheat and barley grass, kitchen equipment and utensils, container kitchen garden, fruitarianism, veganism, vegetarianism, lacto-ovo-pesco + vegetarian diets, raw foods versus cooked foods, food combinimg for maximum protein and food combining for maximum nutrition from maximum digestion, indoor air quality and how to achieve it, attached greenhouses for winter food production, food preserving, how-to, safety and equipment, more recipes, Q&A on any & all topics, yet more recipes, food preparation tips and how to and so on and on and on.........
would not be well received here in permaculture, at least not all of it. So for those who have a long term deep interest in nutrition and health I could have pchealth created, solely as a subset, secondary forum for open ended discussion, Q&A and information exchange. I think there are a few here who would like this (me especially). Cross fertilization of ideas and info between these two lists and Permies.com nutrition forums (some of the best I have seen so far) would be worthwhile and interesting. Health discussion could start here then migrate, for detailed indepth and tangential discussion, to pchealth, and vice versa. I could do a "Best Of" pchealth in one of my websites.

I'll wait for more feedback before starting the new list. If people want open ended health and nutrition conversation here, all the better, we can go for that.

Anyway to start the ball rolling what is the best route to heart and artery health (ignoring inherited genetic factors)? I think of grass fed meat on occasion [2-5 times (meals] per month), a high fiber diet lots of fresh raw vegetables and fruits, maybe muscadine grape seed and skin freeze dried extract. Start early in life with good dietary habits.

What about permaculture professionals and their access to good nutrition while away from home teaching or consulting? How many "take a break" from their self-imposed stict dietary regimes when on the road?

Onward...

LL