permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Walls for raised garden beds

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Thomas Naisbitt <johntnaisbitt@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Walls for raised garden beds
  • Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 11:01:25 -0600

I agree with the rocks.

In place of rocks, I have used "urbanite" or waste concrete form nearby
projects where folks are replacing concrete with newer concrete......maybe
one of the great wonders of the world. People look at me funny when I ask
for thier waste but seem relieved when I am the one hefting the beastly
chunks into the back of the truck. Urbanite is nice 'cause it is easy to
stack and can be dry stacked similar to quarried rock. I have used soil to
set the blocks and this appears to make a wonderful setting for all sorts of
volunteers to help hold the matrix together. (My daughter likes strawberries
and they seem to find a new home with every shooter.) some scoff at the
blocks when they are in the back of the truck, but when placed right and
with a little weathering they aren't quite an eyesore.

John
Silver City, NM