permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Dieter's email on fire and fertility

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: sinergyinaction@netscape.net
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Dieter's email on fire and fertility
  • Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 20:04:06 -0400

Hi
one example of sustainable traditional farming in the Mediterranean was
mentioned in one of the books of Bill Mollison
(Permaculture One may be?). It was about chestnuts culture in Corsica Island.
The people of this area of the Mediterranean
could get pretty much all they needed for their life from the various
chestnut products.
Not sure about their fire prevention strategies though, but chestnut is I
believe one of those trees that can withstand fires
and resprout after it, as well as cork oaks.
Cheers
Antonio