permaculture - [permaculture] Dieter's email on fire and fertility

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rain Tenaqiya <raincascadia@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Dieter's email on fire and fertility
  • Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 11:32:40 -0700 (PDT)

Again, Dieter, thanks for that great email.  I am doing most of the things
you mention for fire prevention.  I'm also fantasizing about being able to
have a few overhead sprinklers for zone 1, someday.  The danger of fire in
your area seems unsustainable.  How did people thrive in the Mediterranean
for so long with this kind of potential for fire?

Similarly, how did people populate the Mediterranean basin so densely with
such limited water sources?  I would like to know more about traditional
farming culture.  I also wonder if the fertility of the lowlands was
maintained at the expense of the highlands, as in East Asia.  In Farmers for
Forty Centuries, you can read about how the hills were basically sacrificed
to maintain the rice paddies and orchards.  In the Mediterranean, goats,
sheep, and cows, coupled with tree cutting, turned the hills into barren
rocks, with all the topsoil feeding the lowlands or the Sea.  Are there
examples of sustainable farming/gardening from traditional Mediterranean
culture?

Rain