permaculture - Re: [permaculture] ONLINE Permaculture A Quiet Revolution Video on 8th International Permaculture Convergence (IPC8)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "oliver smith callis" <oliversmithcallis@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] ONLINE Permaculture A Quiet Revolution Video on 8th International Permaculture Convergence (IPC8)
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 19:15:30 -0600

Tom, I've found Mollison's "In grave danger of falling food" useful: In
Grave Danger of Falling Food.mpg
<http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3162503821561656641&ei=ZgkJSemXA6GI-gG5vpyjCg&q=permaculture+falling+food>

as well as the global gardener series.

Oliver

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 2:02 PM, Thomas Allen <thallen@nwlink.com> wrote:

> Last July I had occasion to show "A Quiet Revolution" back-to-back
> with "The Story of Stuff" at the Eastern Oregon Renewable Energy
> Conference at John Day Oregon. The audience ranged from hip
> Portlanders to local ranchers, twenty-somethings to grey beards like
> me. It was a rare opportunity to engage somebody besides the choir.
> Many people immediately got it but many did not, particularly the
> local ranchers. In the discussion that followed they couldn't see how
> permaculture was relevant to them. To them permaculture as shown in
> the film was a bunch of hippies having a great time in the jungle.
> This gave me a rare opportunity to present permaculture as the set of
> design principles Holmgren and Mollison intended. It was a bit of a
> struggle but I had support from others in the audience and I think we
> succeeded in getting the point across. The issues of fuel cost and
> drought seemed to do the trick.
>
> In retrospect, I think the film was a bit too advanced for people
> with no previous exposure to permaculture. It seems more of a case
> study for those already familiar with the principles. This situation
> will come up again shortly for me. Can anyone recommend a film that
> lays out the basics, the principles, that we can show to the people
> who show up at the sustainable neighborhood meetings that are popping
> up all over Puget Sound
>
> --Tom Allen
>

> On Oct 3, 2008, at 6:32 AM, Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture
> Network wrote:
>
> > Permaculture: A Quiet Revolution by Fimmaker Vanessa Schultz
> > The video is finally available online
> > at http://www.21paradigm.com/permaculture.php
> >

> > In May 2007, the 8th International Permaculture Convergence (IPC8)
> > www.ipc8.org
> > was held in Brazil, bringing together visionary activists from around
> > the world. New to Permaculture, Vanessa Schulz spent a month in
> > Brazil attending the conference and later visiting four ground
> > breaking Permaculture Centers, learning permaculture in settings both
> > urban and rural, in the beautiful and varied landscape of
> > Brazil. From the enormous metropolitan city of Sao Paulo, to the
> > Cerrado (savannah) in central Brazil, to the heart of Amazonia, and
> > finally the historic Bahia region, the story of Permaculture is told.
> >
> > The film discusses mainstream media's failure to provide accurate
> > news of the world's dire environmental predicament, and some of the
> > strategies permaculturists propose, giving critical inspiration
> > needed to turn our backs on what is failing us. Permaculture
> > (PERMAnent CULTURE) is a design system based on ecological principles
> > for creating sustainable human environments and is a whole systems
> > approach suggesting positive solutions for a rapidly changing world.
> >

> > Vanessa Schulz, originally from South Africa, began freelancing in
> > the film industry in 1994 while attending Cape Town Film & Television
> [...]

Oliver Smith Callis

"To know and not to do is not to know: I hear and I forget. I see and I
remember. I do and I understand."
-Chinese Proverb

"He who desires and acts not breeds pestilence."
-William Blake