permaculture - Re: [permaculture] ONLINE Permaculture A Quiet Revolution Video on 8th International Permaculture Convergence (IPC8)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Thomas Allen <thallen@nwlink.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] ONLINE Permaculture A Quiet Revolution Video on 8th International Permaculture Convergence (IPC8)
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 13:02:56 -0700

Last July I had occasion to show "A Quiet Revolution" back-to-back with "The Story of Stuff" at the Eastern Oregon Renewable Energy Conference at John Day Oregon. The audience ranged from hip Portlanders to local ranchers, twenty-somethings to grey beards like me. It was a rare opportunity to engage somebody besides the choir. Many people immediately got it but many did not, particularly the local ranchers. In the discussion that followed they couldn't see how permaculture was relevant to them. To them permaculture as shown in the film was a bunch of hippies having a great time in the jungle. This gave me a rare opportunity to present permaculture as the set of design principles Holmgren and Mollison intended. It was a bit of a struggle but I had support from others in the audience and I think we succeeded in getting the point across. The issues of fuel cost and drought seemed to do the trick.

In retrospect, I think the film was a bit too advanced for people with no previous exposure to permaculture. It seems more of a case study for those already familiar with the principles. This situation will come up again shortly for me. Can anyone recommend a film that lays out the basics, the principles, that we can show to the people who show up at the sustainable neighborhood meetings that are popping up all over Puget Sound

--Tom Allen