permaculture - Re: [permaculture] gmo produce PLU code for grocery stores (fwd)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Ben Martin Horst <ben.martinhorst@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] gmo produce PLU code for grocery stores (fwd)
  • Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 17:47:16 -0800

Having worked in the organic grocery biz for a few years now, this is total news to me. Of course, I don't generally handle the produce, so I'll have to check with my co-workers who do, but I suspect that this statement is not 100% accurate. Some stores -- especially the big chains (Hole Foods and/or Mall-Wart, anyone?) -- may do it this way, but I'm fairly sure there are no hard and fast rules or industry standards about any of this. Again, I'll check with my co-workers and their produce distributors and get back to y'all.

In any case, your best and safest bet, if you didn't grow it yourself or get it from a farmer you know and trust, is to buy organic (or biodynamic, if it's available). Organic standards aren't perfect, and they could certainly use some strengthening, but it's better than guessing based on PLUs that may or may not be obvious.

Ben

Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:
I read an interesting tidbit in a magazine the other day about the PLU numbers for produce at the grocery store -- maybe it is common knowledge but it was news to me. All conventional produce have a four digit code, organic produce has a 5 digit code that starts with 9 and genetically modified produce has a 5 digit code that starts with 8. I didn't realize they had to identify genetically modified produce.