permaculture - [permaculture] gmo produce PLU code for grocery stores (fwd)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] gmo produce PLU code for grocery stores (fwd)
  • Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 13:41:46 -0400

I read an interesting tidbit in a magazine the other day about the PLU numbers for produce at the grocery store -- maybe it is common knowledge but it was news to me. All conventional produce have a four digit code, organic produce has a 5 digit code that starts with 9 and genetically modified produce has a 5 digit code that starts with 8. I didn't realize they had to identify genetically modified produce.