permaculture - Re: [permaculture] what about lubrication?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Harmon Seaver <hseaver@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] what about lubrication?
  • Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 07:32:58 -0500

lbsaltzman@aol.com wrote:
> David Fridley makes sense to me.? I hope we can retire the biofuels debate
> for now. Biofuels ain't happening on a large enough scale to replace
> petroleum.

You're right -- there is nothing that's going to replace all that
cheap energy we got from fossil fuels. So what is the answer? With
diesel fuel at just over $4 @ gallon in the US, a lot of small
independent truckers are already declaring bankruptcy. Just wait -- in 5
years, the price of fuel will be $10 @ gallon, maybe more.
So what is the answer? Railroads? Hey, I love trains. I really wish
we had trains all over in the US like they do in Europe and Japan. If
they pulled all the troops out of Iraq and used all that money instead
on starting a massive rail rebuilding project right today, we might
actually get something built before energy costs get so high that they
kill off large construction projects.
But that ain't happening. And most likely it isn't going to happen,
because most people in the country, in the media, and in the government,
are just far too clueless to make it happen. Or too dishonest. And Big
OIl still has far too much control over the media and politicians to let
it happen.
And most people in the US aren't going to wake up until they are
starving and freezing to death.
But some of us will have plenty of fuel. Some of us will live in
warm, well-lit houses, with plenty of food on the table and plenty of
fuel in our tractors and trucks. Those of us who are provident, and have
a few acres of land, and the wisdom to see what lies ahead.

--
Harmon Seaver