permaculture - Re: [permaculture] what about lubrication?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: lbsaltzman@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] what about lubrication?
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 13:10:51 -0400

I?have been following this conversation with interest. I am not an expert on
biofuels, but the missing question with all of this, is what quantity of
biofuels and biolubricants can be sustainably harvested without damaging
ecosystems, and impacting the production of food for the world's population.
I suspect not enough to permit the burning of biofuels at the rate we
currently burn fossil fuels. That implies that we are going to have a lot
less energy to run vehicles, and a lot less vehicles.? So that also suggests
that we should be putting a lot of thinking into alternative ways of doing
things that don't involve the mass use of vehicles for transportation and as
labor saving devices. It will be the hugest reallocation of resources since
the industrial revolution. It will be in fact the reversal of how the
industrial revolution has allocated resources.