permaculture - Re: [permaculture] washing my dirty linen

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] washing my dirty linen
  • Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 14:05:52 -0700 (PDT)

A friend of mine, here in Portugal, has been building
bicycle-powered machines for the last ten years. His
machines include washing machines, fruit presses,
drills and saws. He keeps on going even though it is
not exactly a commercial success. He is not on the
Internet.

Dieter Brand
Portugal

Jim <ashevillecurrencyproject@gmail.com> wrote:
For info on one bike-powered laundry, check out
http://www.appropedia.org/HSU_Bike_powered_washing_machine

"This was a project started by students in the Whole Earth Engineering
class at HSU . The main goal of the
project was to fill a need using an appropiate technology. An Arcata
house, already using several appropiate technologies was looking for a
way to wash their clothes. Housemates had several bikes, bike parts,
tools, and the know how and the idea for a bicycle powered washing
machine was born."

I think this is inspired by another such setup in Arcata that was
publicized in 1997.
-- Jim

Message: 3