permaculture - Re: [permaculture] mosquito control

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] mosquito control
  • Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 05:07:41 -0700 (PDT)

Charles de Matas wrote:
> ... it would make
> life much more comfortable for me here in the tropics.

If you are in the tropics, you are bound to have plenty of mosquitoes
anyway. Fish in a pond are not going to make those go away, they
may, with a bit of luck, control the populations of additional insects
that would otherwise be generated by your pond. I don't have enough
water to make a pond, but I have heard from neighbours that ducks
are pretty efficient at controlling insects such as mosquitoes by eating
their eggs. They are not limited to the water in the pond either, they
can roam about and get at the buggers wherever there is a little
humidity for them to proliferate.

Did you look at insect repellent plants for planting around your dwellings?
I don't remember any names, but there is bound to be a list, somewhere
on the Internet, that will enumerate the insect repellent properties for
various bushes and other plants.

Dieter Brand,
in dry and sun-scorched Portugal with hardly a mosquito to worry about.

FareChase.