permaculture - Re: [permaculture] seedlings vs cultivars

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: <woodsjay@cox.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] seedlings vs cultivars
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 18:27:34 -0500

On Monday 30 April 2007 23:46:14 Paul Cereghino wrote:
> ... . Are you
> suggesting that we adjust our values to include management of population
> genetics when planting exotic species?

Just so. I consider that this is equivalent to maintaining heirloom
varieties. In this case with persistence and a little forethought, it should
be possible to generate what the future will call an heirloom variety. A few
have spent a lot of effort to keep the seedlines available for many tasty
varieties. That amount of effort hasn't been lavished on the pome fruits
except in University breeding programs. For some reason the results of
University programs seem unavailable to permaculturists.