permaculture - [permaculture] seedlings vs cultivars

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul Cereghino <paul.cereghino@comcast.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] seedlings vs cultivars
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 21:46:14 -0700

*(Woodsjay writes)
The genetics of cultivars are damaged. The seedlings are in much better shape genetically. Counter argument - When one buys a cultivar, one isn't buying genetics, one is buying phenotypic expression.*

This is an elegant analysis... we are motivated by phenotypic expression... it is easy to eat.

*(Woodsjay writes)
Synthesis - The seed is a much smaller package and can be stored for long periods of time. Especially when it germinates under the plant or by squirrel, there is the feeling that the conditions are right for the plant. Likewise, improvement of the plant is much faster even if it is from a much less improved basis.*

what does "there is the feeling that the conditions are right for the plant" mean?

If we value phenotypic expression, what does the rate of improvement matter? And if value comes from phenotypic expression, how do you characterize 'improvment'? There is a lot of subtext related to population level genetics I'd like to hear more about. Are you suggesting that we adjust our values to include management of population genetics when planting exotic species?

I have taken the approach of buying in limited numbers of cultivars while foraging for seed and cuttings to meet future needs. My initial plantings become parent plantings as cuttings and seed come available, and are mixed with more genetically and floristically diverse materials as I locate free sources from both sexual and asexual propagation. One example is I have purchased one each of 5 varieties of Corylus avellana that are blight resistant and produce medium to large kernals. I got them from stool propagation at $11US each. I will stool or layer them in turn to multiply.. to approximately 15 trees of 5 varieties in my limited zone 3 (which might shift to zone 2 as my influence on the site increases). Blight is spreading north into my area, likely increasing with climate change. I might include additional individuals in my less managed hedgerows. Why should I be motivated to invest in seedling Corylus avellana?