permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Hardy Kiwi cultivar availability/hardiness -- anyone know this cultivar?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: jedd <jedd@progsoc.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Hardy Kiwi cultivar availability/hardiness -- anyone know this cultivar?
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 02:01:04 +1000

On Thursday 29 March 2007 5:10 pm, Paul d'Aoust wrote:
> When you say 'self-fertile', do you mean true-to-parent, or monoecious?

I mean that they don't need a boy and a girl plant to produce fruit.

But .. as you hinted at in the rest of this message, there's some
doubt and/or some curiosities wrt different varieties within this
spp - specifically (as hinted elsewhere) the Issai variety.

My point (hopefully not too obtuse) was that any place in NZ that
was growing this fruit was likely within pollination distance of some
boy Actinidias, probably A. deliciosa/sinensis (?), and so the fruit
of the K2D4 (even if it was partially self-fertile) could not, should
not, be assumed to be 100% true to its mum.

Jedd.