permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Pet wastes....

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: yarrow@sfo.com
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Pet wastes....
  • Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 15:40:39 -0700

Yes, that's true, rabbit pellets can be used directly on the garden or in the regular compost bin, but cat and dog waste is almost always handled separately. Most people use a separate composting system for cat and dog waste, then use that compost mainly on ornamentals. The main concern is pathogens in the waste (same goes for humanure).

A few people who have experience with hot composting, however, put everything and anything organic into the compost bins. (And if you gotta ask what that is, you're not ready.)

with our 4 indoor rabbits, who are not the best litter box users, I
just dump what I sweep up into the compost along with the paper that
Charlie uses. I would put the wood pellets from the litter boxes into
the compost as well but the two cats use all the boxes not just their
own. I did hear somewhere that cat and dog scat attracts other vermin
and is best not to use in the compost but the rabbit waste is fine and
it can also be applied directly to the garden. It may have something to
do with being meat eaters verses veg.