permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Pet wastes....

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lisa Rollens" <rollens@fidnet.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Pet wastes....
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 11:48:14 -0500

One more thing, James...in the past, raising various animals....horses, calves, chickens, mice, hamsters, etc, the general rule is that if the pen or cage or stall smells, you aren't using enough bedding. Keep in mind that the manure is the "hot" or "green" stuff in the compost and the bedding is the "brown" stuff. The correct proportions are approximately 20% hot to 80% cold, or brown. Add moisture and it composts. At the beginning there might be a smell, but it's not that nasty doggie poo smell.

Lisa, in the Ozarks

----- Original Message ----- From: "Noctaire" <noctaire@infobin.org>