permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Pet wastes....

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lisa Rollens" <rollens@fidnet.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Pet wastes....
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 11:42:42 -0500

My sister in Albuquerque NM uses one of those things buried in the yard for the waste from 2 Labradors. She is in a subdivision. However, it is so dry there that dog waste generally dries and turns ashy. If you are in a wet area where the dog waste washes into the yard, maybe you could mow the yard and rake up the freshly fertilized, high nitrogen grass and use it for mulch. I currently have 2 dog pens and scatter the waste up on the hillside and then let the sheep graze the area, but I think you said you are in a subdivision, so that wouldn't work for you. But maybe a variation...throw it in a pile and cover with leaves, chopped if you can chop them, and use it like a dedicated humanure pile and let it sit for a while then use to fertilize fruit or nut trees. Just some thoughts...

Lisa, in the MO Ozarks

----- Original Message ----- From: "Noctaire" <noctaire@infobin.org>