permaculture - Re: [permaculture] permaculture Digest, Vol 41, Issue 1

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "roxann" <roxann@ancientearthwisdom.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] permaculture Digest, Vol 41, Issue 1
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 21:18:57 +0000

Hi Scott,

when i lived where i could grow bananas (south louisiana), it seemed that
mine took a few years before they even began to make fruit, even during years
where the winters had no frost. the older trees would usually set fruit. i
have no idea what variety these were, i took them from my great-grandfather's
homestead after he died and no one else in the family cared much about them
so they didn't know anything about them either. the trunks would sometimes
get to be almost a foot in diameter at the ground level, but that was after
at least 5 years, and they got to be extremely tall. the bananas were small
and tart-sweet in flavor.

roxann