permaculture - [permaculture] Soil damage/restoration

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Thomas Gorman <tom@honeychrome.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Soil damage/restoration
  • Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 08:40:17 -0400

I'm getting a little ahead of myself here, but my partner and I have made an offer on a parcel of land that is about 1/2 of what was once a small, 100 acre dairy farm in upstate NY. As near as I can determine, it hasn't been active for twenty years, possibly much more. Our eventual goal is to build a small strawbale/cob house and design and 'develop' a portion of the property along permaculture lines, seeking to eventually approach self-sustainability and maybe even some surplus. I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas what kind of soil problems might be resultant from using land to raise dairy cows? As it's been inactive for so long, my hope is that the land has at least begun to repair it's self... I'm also assuming that small dairy use would have been a little less impactful than intensive row cropping. Still, information or experience from others would be appreciated!

If we do end up with the property, I'll write up a fuller description of it and our plans for feedback and will no doubt have many, many questions as we go along!
Tom