permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Dedicated Inlet Air Supply for Wood Burning Stoves

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Vint Lawrence <vlawrence@nets.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Dedicated Inlet Air Supply for Wood Burning Stoves
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:35:12 -0700

Laurence,
This is generally a good practice as there can be a net loss on heating with a fireplace or stove that is using inside air for combustion, especially as the fire burns down. The strategy is most effective if you have a way to close off the open fireplace when necessary.
Design considerations include putting some sort of control or damper on the inlet air source so that it can be shut off when there is no fire, and protecting it from "infiltration" and or occupation by rodents. Ideally, ducting should be fire and/or melt proof (i.e.-ceramic or metal) near the stove itself.
The only counter indication that I can think of at the moment is if your house is already pretty "airtight" you wouldn't be encouraging a sufficient airchange rate and would have no indication that your air quality was deteriorating (i.e.- backdrafting in the stove). For most houses, this is not a problem and would probably be helped by having an external source of combustion air when needed.

There have been various studies of this through the years, notably in Canada and, I believe ATTRA in the US. There were also studies done @ the East-West Center at the University of Hawaii in the 70's or 80's on the impact of woodsmoke on respiratory health in developing countries. I don't have the citations at hand, but could probably dig them up if you have a genuine "need to know".

Otherwise, go for it.

Vint Lawrence
Santa Fe, NM

Laurence Gaffney wrote:

Does anyone have any advice/opinions on a proposal to reticulate air from
outside a house to the air intake of a wood fired stove to prevent extraction
of inside air.
Can/Does this work? How do we know so?
What are the Advantages &/or /Disadvantages?
Any Specific Design advice?

Laurence Gaffney
Australia