permaculture - Re: [permaculture] using old carpet

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture list <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] using old carpet
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 22:48:29 -0800

If you can get wool carpet, great. But most carpet is synthetic and will
stay there for many years. The problem there, along with tangling tiller
tines, is that grass and weeds grow on top of the carpet, and quickly push
their roots through the carpet, stitching it down to the ground. Then you
can't pull the carpet back up without lots of work and a very mighty effort.

Toby
Learn permaculture in at a tropical food forest in Belize this February.
Details at www.patternliteracy.com