permaculture - [permaculture] Buried unglazed pots as watering system

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Earth Passengers <earthpassengers@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Buried unglazed pots as watering system
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 23:28:26 +0800

Hello all,

Does anyone have experience using buried terra-cotta pots filled with water
as a watering system? Does this really work, work well, and for many years?

Here's my design: I'm planning to catch rainwater on a 16th story roof and
divert it to a 14th floor rooftop garden. I'm considering diverting some of
the water to a series of 8 large buried terra-cotta pots [unglazed]. The
tops of the pots will be screened to keep out mosquitos. The water will
[hopefully] slowly seep through the pot wall to moisten adjacent soil. The
idea is to keep plants happy with a consistent level of moisture and cut
down on maintenance time. So far, i've only seen this idea in drawings and
don't know if it's been tried with success.

Any advice is welcome - is this design worth the trouble?

Thanks in advance,

Peter Morehead