permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Buried unglazed pots as watering system

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Forest Garden" <forestgarden@gvtc.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Buried unglazed pots as watering system
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 21:17:11 -0600

Hi Larry,

I am jumping in here - and yes, I was the one with the low pressure gravity
fed system. If you could relay some more specifics please. What size are
the pots you use? How much water gets distributed? I wonder how long it
takes for the water to seep out. I am guessing the tree starts forming
roots around the pot - it learns where the water is? Would it have to be
terra cotta? Could it be any fired, but unglazed clay pot? I am asking
this as I wonder if I could make a custom shape which would distribute the
water better.

I appreciate your sharing of information.

thanks,

Marjory