permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Nursery Overstocks

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: dwoodard@becon.org
  • To: eisenhauerdesign@earthlink.net, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Nursery Overstocks
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 13:44:39 -0500 (EST)

I think the value of cheap plants is easily over-rated.

It is most important to get the best cultivars or seedling lines, and the
ones best adapted to one's area, and where grafted plants are concerned
as is usual with fruit and nut trees, the best rootstocks for the
cultivar, species and situation.

For quantities at low cost it may be worthwhile learning how to propagate
your own. Grafting and budding are not that difficult although *care* is
necessary.

Poor plants at a low price are no bargain.

The time and manner of planting, and aftercare, are very important.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada