permaculture - [permaculture] Nature Deficit Disorder - "Humans are no longer cavemen trying to survive in the wild"

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Nature Deficit Disorder - "Humans are no longer cavemen trying to survive in the wild"
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 12:01:03 -0500

Nature Deficit Disorder - "Humans are no longer cavemen trying to survive in the
wild"

Today's discussion on PBS' Dianne Rheem Show concerns modern society's estrangement from the out-of-doors; a lifestyle involving mostly living indoors in a house or apartment on a lot with little or no yard or a yard with little natural diversity and a manicured lawn and landscape planting.

The latter comment was read from an email the author Dianne interviewed received from someone objecting to his campaign to get people outdoors and into the woods and fields more often, a mindset that might espouse "I can acquire all the Nature I need in my life with my digital camera".

- maybe there will be an audio tape of this online. The book reviewed is "The Last
Child In the Woods".

Permaculture teachers and activists will certainly have their work cut out
for them for some time to come.