permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Email addresses being put on web - SHOULD BEFIXED

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Email addresses being put on web - SHOULD BEFIXED
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 05:59:11 -0500

webmaster@pfaf.org wrote:
Hi,
My pov on the matter, is basically
yes to public archive readable by anyone
no to personal details (i.e. email addresses) published.

If an email address is published anywhere on the public Internet
it will be found by spammers, as an example the plants for a future site has been visited by 234 different robots in the last month (full list at http://www.pfaf.org/admin/stats.php) many of these are search engines, but some are most probably email harvesting programs.

I suspect the mail archive program probably has an option for not showing email addresses. Another option is to use an email hiding technique for instance webmaster@pfNOSPAMaf.org which might be settable in the software.

As I said, I have done all that Mailman offers short of having ALL post to
the list
displayed and sent by permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org. I can spend more time searching all the Mailman faqs for list manager and server admin options but I doubt I will find anything else that is useful.

A final point is that if people include their email address in the text of a message or in a signature, then the address will appear even if addresses are blocked. So I'm letting myself into all sorts of trouble by including the signature below ;-).

If people will take more responsibility for controlling spam in their email
themselves
instead of blaming the list and suggesting that the list be crippled they
would see better results.
I'll bet that were the list crippled to accomodate their theory that their spam problems originate with this list they would find that they will still get just about as much spam as before.

Its a matter of how much one ois willing to put up with to have continued
free and robust access to valued information.