permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Email addresses being put on web - SHOULD BEFIXED

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: webmaster@pfaf.org
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Email addresses being put on web - SHOULD BEFIXED
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 09:02:14 +0000

Hi,
My pov on the matter, is basically
yes to public archive readable by anyone
no to personal details (i.e. email addresses) published.

If an email address is published anywhere on the public Internet
it will be found by spammers, as an example the plants for a future site has been visited by 234 different robots in the last month (full list at http://www.pfaf.org/admin/stats.php) many of these are search engines, but some are most probably email harvesting programs.

I suspect the mail archive program probably has an option for not showing email addresses. Another option is to use an email hiding technique for instance webmaster@pfNOSPAMaf.org which might be settable in the software.

A final point is that if people include their email address in the text of a message or in a signature, then the address will appear even if addresses are blocked. So I'm letting myself into all sorts of trouble by including the signature below ;-).
--
Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
Web: http://www.pfaf.org/