permaculture - Re: [permaculture] psychedlics and permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Graham <grahamburnett@blueyonder.co.uk>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] psychedlics and permaculture
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 21:30:13 +0100

I have to admit that drug culture bores me senseless TBH...

d pfalzer wrote:

I wonder if when we choose to look to indigenous
cultures for inspiration on how to create a permanant
culture and deduce that because they used psychedelic
mushrooms in a controlled manner, it is okay for us to
use LSD or whatever drugs we want recreationally -- if
perhaps we are taking a reference out-of-context
rather grievously. What do you think?

--- Graham <grahamburnett@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

I'm not that bothered what Bill & dave think about
psychedilcs (no disrespect, chaps), we should be thinking for
ourselves, not looking up to 'leaders'- isn't that the central message of
permaculture- or is that anarchy??? Bill and Dave had great ideas, but I'm
sure they'd be the last to want to see them stand still and
undeveloped... permanent Culture doesn't mean its dead and static, rtaher
that its sustainable and evolving...

I also don't see why its 'conservative' to question
the benefits of drug taking- it could equally be equally seen as
conservative to promote LSD, dope, etc as 'mind enhancing'. From my experience
around drug users they often seem to be too stoned and apathetic to be much
of a threat to anything, let alone any sort of a danger to the
destructoculture status quo. All I've ever seen is drugs killing creativity
rather than enhancing it... What destroyed the hippy and punk
movements???

Yes I know 'legal' drugs do vast amounts of social
harm, but I never claimed that for me beer does anything other provide
some enjoyement and relaxation- though I reckon I've seen more creative
ideas born over a convivial pint or two in the pub than I have in any
room full of stoned hippys rolling joints on a Pink Floyd album sleeve
saying "Maaan" alot before falling asleep (and I am speaking from deeply
depressing experience...)...

I don't mean to come across as moralistic or
anything, cos that certainly isn't the perspective I'm coming from, and
I certainly believe that its everybodies right to do what the want with
their own bodie- but as Larry says this should be a free discussion
space- but that goes both ways...

Cheers Graham

Kaia Bronte wrote:

If I were new to the permaculture way I would ask,

based on your statements:

which psychedelic drugs do Bill Mollison and David

Holmgren recommend?

The One Peace be with You,

/ l.s. / Kaia Bronte